Generation Power Youth
Developed by and for Indigenous youth, Generation Power's purpose is to empower you to bring Indigenous communities to the forefront of the climate change conversation. Indigenous youth are critical players in the transition to clean energy and you can be a part of building a better future for your community and future generations.
Excited to join the next Generation Power cohort?
Generation Power participants come from many different backgrounds. What they will have in common is a motivation to learn and/or deepen their knowledge on clean energy topics to help shape the future of Indigenous clean energy on Turtle Island.
We strongly encourage any young Indigenous person who shares this motivation to apply. We are looking for people from a range of backgrounds and experiences— including young professionals, community advocates, academics, and people working at a grass-roots community level. In order to qualify, you must self-identify as a First Nation, Inuit or Métis youth (18 to 30) and be eligible to work in Canada.
In evaluating applicants, priority will be given to those who:
- Have strong online collaboration skills (or willingness to learn)
- Have experience or interest in Canada’s current and future energy sector (or willingness to learn)
- Desire to begin, or transition to, a career in the energy economy
- Have an appreciation for ancestral history and legacies and a willingness to engage with cultural teachings
- Demonstrate leadership potential, either through work, community, or volunteer experience. For example:
- Youth representative on a youth council
- Community governance
- Organizing your community's participation in large events/gatherings
- Coordinating cultural events
- Board member for an organization
Pathways of Involvement
There are two different pathways from which you can join the program:
- Youth-Led Pathway: you are an Indigenous youth looking for an internship opportunity
- Match-Based Pathway: you are an Indigenous youth who is already paired with an employer, and wants to join the program
Youth-Led Pathway - Indigenous youth (ages 18-30) interested in kick-starting their career in the clean energy sector will work with ICE to secure a 4-12 month long internship within the clean energy sector.
Match-Based Pathway - Indigenous youth (ages 18-30) who are starting a new, full-time position in the clean energy sector are eligible for a 75% wage subsidy up to a maximum of $30,000.
Training-Only Pathway (CANCELLED FOR 2023/2024 COHORT) - gain access to clean energy training, mentorship and coaching services, and attendance with all costs covered for Generation Power's Retreat (accommodation, travel, food).
The Generation Power Program is not a passive experience. We expect youth participants to actively engage in program activities, and bring the skills and knowledge they gain to advance their own careers and lead in the movement toward a more sustainable and equitable energy future for all. Those selected for the program need to demonstrate commitment to their internship for 4-12 months.
We understand that issues do arise and we will work with Youth Participants through any challenges they face and make alternate arrangements where needed.
We accept 20 youth participants per year. We encourage everyone interested to apply.
There is no cost to apply or participate in the Generation Power Program for Youth Participants.
We recognize that making a decision to apply can be a big one. In order to help you make your decision, we are happy to talk with you about any concerns you may have. Email Kayla Nolan, Generation Power Co-Manager.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications are now OPEN!